Thursday, January 24, 2013

Simile & Metaphor

Simile
Simile is comparing something to another thing using like or as.
For example:
"I slept like a baby last night.."
"It's hot as hell."

Simile is somewhat important to writing because simile helps to showing imagery in writing a lot, it makes it easier. Also, simile can make some writing humurous just like hyberbole adding entertainment to the text so the writer won't get bored."He looked like a bulldog chewing wasps," is a simile that can make chuckle a little.

There are some similes in this poem:


Kindness

Kindness is as fire
shared from between spirits
Kindness is as water
Finding a way, seen through
To extinguish dismay.

Kindness is as wind
That guides the largest sail
Invincible to day and night
Larger than the largest whale.

Kindness is as earth
A meek rock in a streaming river
Unrecognized by men who only shiver
Or the men who hold their tokens high
Only starring at the worth.

Yet the man who saw beyond the mirror
The place where waters glow
The meek rock lies and doesn't expire
Chiseling at it, he found pure gold
Against the wind
Betraying a fire
Walking backwards from the water
He shared it with one he doesn't know.

-Adam Garfield-Turner

Here's a poem with quite a few similes in it:


Simile, A Love Poem 

Your love is like a blanket
that keeps me toasty warm.
Your love is like a shield
that protects me from all harm.
Your love is like a chocolate bar,
velvet-smooth and sweet
Or like some comfy house slippers
that hug my tired feet
You hold me like an easy chair
when I’m too weak to stand
Imbue me with your steadfast faith
by just holding my hand
Your eyes express devotion,
profound and true and deep
Your heartbeat’s like a lullaby
that beckons me to sleep
You permeate my memories
Romance from days long past
You underwrite my future
with a love that’s made to last
I need you more than words can say
My heart is sure and true
I’m yours until the end of time
Like, baby, I love you

Metaphor
Metaphor is basically comparing something without using like or as

For example:
"My mother is always on a rollercoaster of emotions, one minute she's happy and joyful then next thing you know she's sad and miserable."


Just like with simile, metaphors are also used to show imagery in writing a lot. Metaphors can also be used to add entertainment as well in writing which a writer would love to catch the attention of the reader.

Here's a poem that has a few metaphors in it:

Life

Life is a tree
With branches in several directions
Growing leaves, flowers, or fruits
Picked and swallowed with reflections
For further changes, for further corrections.

Life is a forest
Filled with scattered breezes
And delightful smell
Its branches are connected well
Many flowers have their leafy shell.

Life is a hike
Paths filled with roses and thorns
Cramped in sharp places
To make wise turns
Focusing on the roses and ferns.

Life is frozen water
A river attached to a pond
The surface paved with stillness
Looking beneath and beyond
Steady movement fills the bond.


Adam Garfield-Turner


Here's another poem with some metaphors in it:



Life’s Mud
So I came to that point of thick mud
Looking down I just nodded
My ankles drenched in frowns
Shadows had to flood
One flower did bud.

A beauty my eyes didn't recognize
Unfamiliar with its form
Standing still in the air
I began to realize
A chilled breeze in disguise.

When the bird sang that song
Couldn't help but polish my cheeks
You’re a natural you know
I choose to clap along
This ball blossoms like ping pong.

Where’s the mud I once saw?
This is strange
A black gem in my hand
Wheres the law
Against churning up raw flaw.

Adam Garfield-Turner



No comments:

Post a Comment