Thursday, November 22, 2012

Paris, The City of Love and Light

I didn't think I’d find it. Wasn't looking for it. But it was all around me. I returned home from my month in Paris, a soul-searching journey, not a pleasure trip, with many overwhelming impressions of the the City of Light. This vignette resonates to this day.

I quickly established my presence each morning at a cafe a short stroll from my flat on Rive Gauche. The short journey alone was common with sights and sounds and smells that put me perfectly in the mood for cafe au lait (which is French for milk) and some quiet contemplation.

The cafe was across a small, quiet intersection from an outdoor produce market. Behind the fruit-load display stood a small, dark haired French girl. She barely spoke English, and combined with my very limited French, we were unable to communicate beyond pointing and nodding and yes, smiling.

I would observe her carefully from my perch outside the cafe. She would go long periods without a customer. She seemed bored and, I sensed, sadness and loneliness. Sometimes her gaze met mine.

One morning, I stopped by a flower stall a half block up from her market and bought a dozen gorgeous orange roses. As I approached, her face lit up. I simply handed them to her, nodded, and continued on to the cafe.

And that’s just what I did for the next two weeks. Each morning I wordlessly hand her a dozen roses (they were not at all overpriced like in the states), smiled, and went on my way. Her fellow employees caught on quickly, and from behind my newspaper, I enjoyed her curiosity as she tried to explain to them, while subtly gesturing toward me. The boredom of the produce stand was now cut with rumors and intrigue. Who was the American? Why was he keeping his distance?

When I moved to another flat a few blocks away for the second half of my stay, I finally spoke to her, as I handed her a final dozen roses.

I lifted my hand toward hers. She rested her hand in mine.
I kissed it.

“Je t’aime (I love you),” I said. “Au revoir(Goodbye).”

And before she could say anything, I was gone.

1 comment:

  1. omg omg omg omg that is so so SOOOOOOOO good i never knew you had that type of person and creativity in you lolz so good :) ima send you a congrats poem to make it more awsome and also a love poem. so expect those thing tomorrow ok lolz :D

    ReplyDelete